Sunday, August 19, 2007

Walking in the rain


People here just chill - they go at their own pace and go with the flow. Yes, I know, two seemingly contradictory statements but trust me it's fitting. I went walking this afternoon and came across a few Indiaisms:


  • Man sitting in front of house: a man down the street is sitting in front of his house on a small plastic chair. He was there yesterday too. Just watching the world go by. There's not that much going on on this street so there's not much entertainment for him, but surely he's seen plenty. The only thing he had with him was an umbrella - ready for all occasions I guess.

  • The mimic: a bit further down the street is a small girl also sitting in a plastic chair. Comically her chair is bigger than the man's while she's about 1/4 the size. I guess she's practicing - someday she'll fill that chair and then she too can sit for days and watch. Across the street from her was a small boy - brother I'm guessing - straddled on the back of a motorcycle. Not patient enough for a chair, but wanting to do what sister does, I think he too is in practice mode.

  • The donkeys: I was missing the donkeys. This week I've been surprised at the number of goats but hadn't seen many donkeys. During my walk I came to a busy intersection (one of millions) and there in the road were my long lost beloved donkeys. They kill me - cars are swooshing past and they don't seem to care at all - they're just one of the moving things in the road. I was thinking they were hilarious until one stopped in front of me and I couldn't get by - on one side was a wall, the other cars wishing by, and in front of me the pausing beast. As soon as he finally moved it killed me again - the funniest part is that donkeys in India seem to have India's patience ... or something like that. My American self just wanted to rush by to go no-where in particular. I did know I needed to get there quickly, though. That's American for you.

  • The rain: As soon as I was about half a mile from the house and without any covering, it started dumping. It poured for 2-minutes then stopped. Then, 1-minute later kicked up again in full force. Hot rain. Stinky rain. OK, I guess it's not so much the rain that stinks as the gook it's stirring up on the road.

Tonight I'm off to a show with Rajan and family. That should prove for some good fodder - can't wait!

No comments: