Thursday, August 30, 2007

Schooled

No, I'm not going to start speaking K-Fed language - I'd get laughed out of the country. As it's time to go back to school for all those I'm so envious of ("those" being young adults and little people who get to enjoy breaks and holidays), I think it's only fitting I write on schoolisms.

Last night while bowling, one of my team-mates was telling me about his kids. His 9-year old son is on a diet. What does this have to do with school you may be thinking - lots! In Singapore, if the school thinks a child is too chubby they put them on a diet. It's thought that one can't think as clearly if they're on the larger end of the spectrum.

At lunch today education was the predominant topic of discussion - alright, I admit it, I brought it up. It was interesting hearing generalizations about schooling around the world. In Singapore, Simon mused, schooling is all about "social modifying." Schooling is very regimented and children are taught to tests instead of being taught to ask questions.

San went to school in Burma where he was hardly able to pass classes because the grading was so strict (on Burmese and on the curvature of writing - no joke). San wound up moving to Singapore for primer and then the UK for college.

Chris grew up in Australia where he thinks schooling is a good balance but still has some to be desired.

Because I don't want to make enemies, I'll refrain from commenting on US schooling :)

1 comment:

Dasher said...

This reminds me of something parents have to re-learn at the beginning of each school year: how to fold paper shopping bags into book covers. Is this a global ritual or a uniquely U.S. form of origami?