Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Uniform-informed


Last night after work Srini and I made our way to a sushi/beer house (I think everywhere you can find food has "beer house" somehow affixed to the name). On our way I mused about the seeming uniform - all the men here wear white shirts and black pants. In the office almost every desk has a black suit jacket hanging next to it. "Yes," Srini said when I asked about this unspoken uniform, "Yes, that's what men are supposed to wear." "But what about the women?" I asked, "They all wear rad (Srini looked perplexed by this word but he went with it) outfits in different colors and styles." "Well of course." Oh, of course?... "That's the glass ceiling." Uh...

The funniest part was just as we were entering the restaurant I noticed a men's clothing shop - it seems I can spot clothing shops from around the corner anywhere. All the shirts in the shop were white, all the pants black or dark grey, and a plethora of dark coats hung on the wall.

Today I wore black pants and a white shirt to work - heh, Waldo no more (I mean this in the "Where's Waldo sense)!

No comments: