Saturday, September 8, 2007

Definitely different

Today my work journey continued and took me to Seoul, Korea. It's a bit interesting being here after our leader's recent fopaux but we won't go into that. The flight was a short 2.5 hours which I spent trying to tell the woman next to me I don't speak Korean. She was eagerly reading a map of Asian and kept pointing at different cities and then pointing at me ... I have no clue why. When the lunch came, I took one look and had to pass. I'm adventurous with food, but when "food" comes in the form of plastic looking pink and yellow things I'll skip that adventure.

After landing and making it through customs I quickly found a cab. As soon as I got in my feeling of safety suddenly hit rock bottom - the driver had a TV installed right next to the steering wheel so he could watch soap operas as he drove. Hm.

Once arriving at the hotel I was thrilled to be out of the cab - I was also starving. Next to the lobby desk is a "snack" area where they serve small meals and snacks - perfect! I made my way up there and ordered chicken broth with ginko. A bit later I was presented with a huge bowl surrounded by lots of tiny plates of orange and yellow stuff (food of course, just not sure what). The soup was indeed broth but had an entire bantam chicken in it and my utensils were chopsticks and a spoon. Unfortunately the soup tasted like liquid cardboard so I abated that meal after trying to take a few gracious bites.

Time to broaden my mind ... more.

No comments: