Tuesday, September 11, 2007

How 'bout them apples

After work I walked around the city a bit so when I got home from work I was starving. My Korean fondue was perfect and tons of food...but all my walking around (ok, fine, I admit it, shopping) I was toast tired. I didn't want to eat in the hotel because for one meal in the restaurant here my entire days food stipend would be used up. Also, being my last night before home (ah, home) I wanted to get out. So, I called the front desk and asked for a great seafood restaurant for which they recommended Todai.

After getting lost more times than I can count to find this "best seafood in town," I arrived to wait in line, get a number, and wait my turn for a table. While waiting my turn patiently, number in hand, I picked up a Korean magazine - had to look busy, and heck, while I couldn't read it I can certainly always enjoy good fashion pics. While flipping through the magazine (which I later learned was a men's magazine about suits - oops) I saw a man approaching out of the corner of my eye. Although I like socializing, sometimes I just don't feel like talking to anyone, and this was one of those nights. The man sat down in front of me.

Stranger: "Hello," he said - I could already tell he was struggling for English words because even this seemed strained.
Me: "Hi," I replied and then quickly looked back down at the men's magazine I couldn't read. Stranger: "Where is your party?" The stranger inquired,"
Me: "I am not with a party." Crud, I was too honest before I could think.
Stranger: "No party! But you are alone."
Me: "Kind of."
Stranger: "Oh, you are doing here?"
Me: "Getting dinner."
Stranger: "No. Here, I mean, you here. What you doing? What are you doing in Korea?"
Me: "Ah, I am working."
Stranger: "I work."
Me: "Nice."
Stranger: "I am a doctor. If you are sick I take care of you."
Me: "Oh."
Stranger: "But you look soooooo heaty." (Dear gracious I hope he meant healthy.) "So you don't need any taking care of."
Me: "No, I don't" I quickly looked back down at the magazine.
Stranger: "What you do?"
Me: "Marketing."
Stranger: "I need marketing for my work. Yes, marketing I need a lot of."
Me: "Oh."
Stranger: "Phone number please so I can call you."
Me: "No. My phone doesn't work in Korea." I was actually telling the truth - thank goodness - otherwise my face would've flushed and ears turned red.
Stranger: "Email address please."
Me: "Uh...fine." Heck, if I get an email it's perfect blog fodder.
Stranger: "Thank you! You, you is great. Wonderful."

As he was walking out I saw his party with him - again I looked down. "This my girlfriend," the stranger introduced on his way out the door. Great, I love being the butt of a bet...maybe, or just that American sitting alone.

Finally I was seated. As soon as I sat down the waitress looked at me like I was nuts. I had no clue what to do so did the dumb smile everyone does when they don't know what to do. "All eat," she said. "All you eat..." I looked up and noticed it was a buffet. Somehow I had landed myself in the Sizzler of Korea. Standing up to see what the goods were I discovered I was in heaven - all you can eat sushi, lobster, oysters, crab, and everything else that's perfect. Another yum (!) for the day. So there I sat, in the all-you-can-eat hot spot of Korea with being watched the entire time (who doesn't watch the lone eater at a restaurant - especially when they're alone in an all you can eat place with the words 'Family style dining' on the napkins.)

The dinner ended with 2 pairs of flip-flops - when I paid I was handed 2 pair. Heck, beats a doggy bag!

No comments: