Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Niceties

There is a great pleasantness about the people here. While they don't quite get my jokes (I laugh at them so it's ok) they've got the caring thing nailed. That's a huge generalization, but go with it.

Today at lunch I went to the "Basement" an ally under our building where there are about 15 restaurants - all of which look great. I made my way to one of the many sushi houses where I was sat at the bar - when you're alone and there's a bar you can eat at, that's where you go. Walking into any restaurant is always fun because the entire staff start yelling - I have no clue what they're saying, but they're smiling so it must be nice (kidding - the former thought did not lead to the latter - Srini told me they're saying to make yourself at home.)

Once seated I did the perfunctory look around the room ... ok, I was gawking. The restaurant was a mix of tables on the floor with cushion seats, tables, and bars. There were tons of white shirt black pants sitting on the floor in full business attire which was quite funny.

I picked up the menu on the table and was spinning - all Japanese, no pictures. The waitress saw my reaction and ran over immediately with an English menu with pictures. Perfect. Udon ordered I went back to my staring - or, "soaking it all in."

When my soup arrived I watched the people next to me to make sure I ate properly - the eating-with-the-left-hand incident in India taught me to watch the crowd before diving in. Just as I was starting the person to my left finished and left. Then, the woman to the right was just about done when she called the waiter over. I saw her point at me and smiling and talking and I thought "great - I ate it wrong." But a minute later the waiter came over and poured more water for me. The woman had told him I was out and he should give me more - how nice!

Just after the woman left I went back to my Udon and, while trying to navigate the giant spoon and chopsticks, a noodle went flying right into my eye. I admit, I was slurping. Glad the company was gone.

No comments: