Friday, September 7, 2007

Oral XTC


Yes, I know this blog title sounds raunchy, sorry. I was thinking of "Best dinner I ever had" or "Culinary excellence" but neither summed up the story.


Tonight, being my last night in Japan, I decided to venture out for a nice dinner alone. I asked for a great sushi restaurant at the front desk and they recommended Oso Oso. After walking 30minutes to find it, it was full. On to the next.


I went to 4 different restaurants, all of which were full (an easy occurrence in a city of 12million on a Friday night when everyone is too tired to cook). Finally, I found an ally under a building filled with restaurants. In the ally 2 more were full. Feeling thoroughly dejected, I decided to walk home when I spotted a tiny restaurant with what looked like 2 seats at the bar opened.


After entering I was thrilled to find a seat at the bar. When I asked for the menu, not so thrilled - it was 100% in Japanese and no-one who worked in the restaurant spoke English.


I glanced through the menu and calculated what I could afford for dinner - heck, if I didn't know what it was, at least it would fit my business budget. After ordering the chef had a sly smile on his face ... uh oh.


The bar seat was like close up at a premier Benny Hannah restaurant. There were only 4 tables in the restaurant and 6 seats at the bar. The kitchen was a giant burner where everything was prepared.


After sitting a bit the waiter produced a glass of something clear which I soon learned to be sake - holy goodness this was delicious! I normally like the unfiltered white kind (which apparently in Japan is icky nono) and this was like drinking gold. A few minutes later a salad was produced with two pieces of cheese, a tomato, and a piece of lettuce (tiny). Best salad of my life in two bites or less. Then came the appetizer I ordered - pickeled stuff (mom, you would have been in heaven).


I saw the waiter preparing something and as he cooked he kept looking at me. Mustn't have been the dashing good American looks (kidding, don't worry). He sliced a piece of beef to perfection (literally, he weighed it after cutting it, then showed it to me, and when I nodded looked so pleased).


Finally the main course came. Holy toledo divine! It was the steak cooked medium rare and mouth wateringly melting. Only way to describe it was perfect. Seriously.


After two bites the chef looked at me, "You, it tastest, like it, good?" I nodded profusely saying, "Yes! Arigato, yes!!!" He replied, "I am so happy. So happy. Beef good. Happy me." A tear came to my eye - not from the sentimental moment mind you, from the beef. I'm not kidding, this was good!

1 comment:

Lucy Autrey Wilson said...

I wish I had been there with you!

MOM