Friday, January 30, 2009

Netiquette: Say in email as you would say unto others

I typically don't write about work here, but this was too good to pass up. Today, a conference coordinator forwarded me an email and included another person from the same conference staff. I scrolled down through the email and saw another "Amber" from the same conference staff that I'm sure was the intended recipient. OOPS!

The email was making fun of a presenter (an exec from a huge software company who shall remain nameless) for asking for an extension. The cc'd party, replied continuing the poking fun. I felt like I was eves-dropping, but the reality is they brought me into this one so I replied all noting that I thought the exchange was funny but I was sure they meant to include another Amber.

The moral? Don't make fun of people in email. If you're going to, make sure you're sending the email to the right people - auto-fill can kill you sometimes.

No comments: