Thursday, January 8, 2009

Early morning running in San Francisco

Today Linzy, Brett, and I made it out for a brisk (and I mean brisk in the OMG friggin cold way) run at 6am. When my alarm first went off at 5:45 I thought I was dreaming - that is until Matt nudged me practically pushing me out of bed to turn off the cricket sounds (yes, I wake up to cricket sounds).

We met in front of Aquatic park and set out from there. It's amazing - San Francisco is like a different city in the morning. In the Bay were two bobbing blue lights - turns out it was two people swimming laps. Nuts. As we made our way up to Ft. Mason we saw a hoard of red flashing lights flashing towards us - some training group with 30+ people were running by and each runner had a light strapped to their chest (the reindeer of runners). Weaving down to Marina Green we came across more groups doing lunges, squats, running sprints, and more. Mind you, it was pitch black still so I'm thinking these were fitness freaks/runners - they may indeed have been homeless trying to get warm, but let's stick with the runner concept.

"Normal" San Francisco presented itself at 8am when I was walking to work - buses were packed, people in suits were speed walking fervently trying to finish a cig, shoe shiners were selling shinings, and the bike crew were filling every coffee shop. Walking home from work yet another city emerged - this one presented packed bars (it is Thursday after all), the same suits puffing new cigs, and a new crew of worker outers.

No comments: