Sunday, December 28, 2008

How I got my grove back - uploading a run from Garmin 305 to Google Earth

I haven't been running in quite a while - I blame laziness and being sick - but today I finally made it back out with GGRC for a "short run" - short to them is the perfect distance to me, 7.07mi. I'm thrilled I got back out on the trails, but even more thrilled with my new-found gadget love - the Garmin 305 is a great way to track runs and map them.

Here's my run from today (planks run):








And here it is in Google Earth:





It took me a while to figure out how to do this, but now that I know the steps it's "easy peasy."
  1. Buy a Garmin 305 (really they are the coolest)
  2. Download the Unit Software
  3. Download the USB Installer
  4. Download the Training Center (this gets you to the first screenshot)
  5. Download Google Earth
  6. Export the workout you want to map from the Training Center to a .tcx file
  7. Use the O-Files site to convert the .tcx to an XSLT file
  8. Open Google Earth
  9. Go to File > Open > and select your XSLT file (the exported run you want)
  10. Oo and ah at how cool it is to see your runs

No comments: