Sunday, August 31, 2008

My slanted haircut, horn rimmed weekend


Last night, after a busy day of kayaking and exploring Potrero Hill with Rob and Emily, we made our way to Scissors for Lefty at the Rickshaw. The band, all in pencil boy pants with tight shirts and spikey hair, was awesome and the audience left me feeling quite old - this time old but thankfully so.

The audience was made up of sets of characters:
  • The E kids - two (if not more) kids were very obviously enjoying an adventure in E land. The girl had a huge fro, zebra pants, and a pink t-shirt. The boy a mousy face, lopsided haircut, green t, and pencil jeans. Throughout the night they flailed and shook and when the base and light show sped up I thought they just might spin out - instead, the boy wound up finding a mousy girl who looked as if she weren't quite sure of herself or her surroundings and sucking face. Literally, sucking - I don't think any kissing was involved - it was like watching a child with his first gobstopper.
  • The "Xs" - everyone over 18 but under 21 who were bopping about in love with the boyband (made of men) on stage. The group of Xs had a handful of boys and girls with terrible posture (a mixture of low self esteem and cockiness - funny spectrum, I know), arm distance dancing (must've learned this at school dances), and then the grinders - the boys who kept walking up to girls, thrusting their hips, and then waiting for a reaction. The grinders were my favorite because it was like watching animal channel with kids instead of animals doing their primal dances.
  • The PL (pursed lips) - I'm not sure how she did it, but this woman (a 30+ year old in an 18-year old's uniform) spent the entire concert on her phone texting with pursed lips. It looked a bit painful, actually - I think only fish should hold that face for extended periods of time.
  • Rainbow Bright - towards the end of the show another 30+ year old woman with her bald boyfriend made their way towards the stage. The woman was dressed, no joke, like Rainbow Bright with bows in her hair and rainbow socks and arm bands. I couldn't figure out the story with this odd couple, and I'm not sure I want to know.
I'm glad I'm not a teen or early 20 something anymore. I don't want to deal with trying to hold a funny fish face or trying to read the weird dance moves of "the wild."

Now I'm off to dawn my black pencil jeans, tank, and red sneeks to go bop to Beck.

No comments: