Sunday, August 10, 2008

It pays to help Girls on the Run


A few posts ago, I mentioned I started volunteering with Girls on the Run Bay Area. I'm on "Team Tiara" (a very sorority sounding committee) the group dedicated to fundraising. Donations provide money for shoes, coaching, race admission, and more for the young girls Girls on the Run support.


I've donated to groups before, and am happy to do it. I'm especially inclined to help education oriented groups as I believe if we teach and enable children, they'll become better adults and in turn be taking care of the new youth as well as the oldies (me in #+ years).


Good will aside, sometimes it's hard to take the step to donate. Girls on the Run makes it fairly easy with the (odd) donation minimum of $262 to be a "Team Tiara" member. All donations are welcome, though. In an attempt to drive more memberships, I wanted to compel potential members even more. I know I'm quite motivated by shopping and tax discounts, so at a team meeting we decided to combine the two - the result? Donations are tax deductible (this has always been the case), and women can get discounts around the Bay Area.


Here's what I've negotiated so far:



  • Lombardi 20% discount (people must have the "Team Tiara" card)

  • Metrosport 15% discount (people must have the "Team Tiara" card)

  • Fleet Feet won't do a GOTR specific discount but does offer a $25 gift card for every $250 spent regardless

  • PCTR 10% off race administration (people must know the discount code which is given upon donating)

No comments: