Saturday, August 2, 2008

Real runner?


Lately I've been wondering what it means to be a "real runner." I recently applied and interviewed to be an "Ambassador" for Lululemon - my hopes are so high right now my hands are cramping from keeping fingers crossed. Part of the process is talking about our sport - in my case running. Typically, Lulu enlists teachers into their Ambassador program. Something about leading a class must make you a real --- (fill-in-the-blank). I'm not a coach, not a teacher, not even a race winner. I place sometimes, and run when I can, and try to run often, but I'm not sure if those check marks are on the "real" list.

Last night at dinner, Matt's parents were talking about how shocked his aunt and uncle were that I finished a real marathon in good time - does that make me a real runner? Maybe.

Negative musings aside, I think anyone can be a runner if they:
  • Lace up and get out the door - a 1/2 mile counts as a run in my books
  • Run because they love it
  • Run because they feel good
  • Run because they feel bad - sometimes we need to push ourselves past comfortable limits, it hurts in the moment and feels so good when complete (like races ... now that I wrote that it sounds addict-y)
  • Run to be healthy
  • Run to be happy
  • Run to enjoy where they are (this can be location based or a deep thought - you decide)
I think I've been reading too much philosophy these past few weeks. Activities don't need to be analysed and picked apart - just done. Oy vey.

Off I go on a real (short) run.

No comments: