Thursday, June 19, 2008

Senses: sounds, smells, and sites


I love this city. I truly do. Sometimes, though, I need little reminders - like when my middle finger is hurting from helping other drivers do a better job, or when I realize at the rate I'm going I won't be able to buy here for another 35 years. But today was an especially SF kinda day.


I woke this morning to the barking of sea lions - something I rarely get to hear. At first I thought it was Matt's snoring, or the shouting from our neighbors next door, but nope - it was nature in our beautiful mucky waters. By 6am I had my Mizunos laced up for a precursory run and was out the door.


After hitting the street I was overwhelmed with the non-native to SF smell, skunk. I don't know where the stinker wandered in from - Marin maybe?


When I made it to Chrissy Field I was drenched - it's not that far to Chrissy, trust me - it was hothothot! It's like middle America came for a visit.


So I've covered the sounds and smells, so on to the sites.


After work I ran to Metro Sports - I'm still trying my darndest to get into the Nike Women's Marathon and they're holding drawings so I had to go shopping. Tough life. On my way to the lotto (aka store) I came across some SFisms. There was the mini van with no windows painted pink with a Barbie logo across the car ... now tell me, would you like your kids rolling around in that? Uh uh. Then there was the Obama bumper sticker covered car. Now I'm all for Obama (go Obama go!!) but top to tire? Finally, there was the street giveaway. I am a huge fan of street furniture and giveaways, in fact, when Matt and I first moved in together we couldn't afford any furniture (I could afford Choos, but that's different) so our first couch was street couch. I loved that couch. Still a bit itchy, but whatever. This street giveaway was a bit odd a free orchid (notice the lack of dirt or flower in the pic).

No comments: