Sunday, June 8, 2008

Food


I knew we had amazing food in San Francisco based on my travels ... and taste-buds ... and diminishing bank account (from Whole Paycheck - er, Foods - and eating out), but I never knew HOW amazing. After 1-meal in Florida (a beautiful state with wonderful people and nice weather) I'm SO thankful. I do think, though, to save America from itself, we should get rid of all-you-can-eat bars.


At dinner this evening I saw a group of young girls (I'm guessing 17-19 judging by their white tips (hair and nails) and short shorts) enjoy the all-you-can-eat 3 times but only consuming chocolate cake and soft serve. Now I'm all for a sweet now and again, OK, and again, but 3 stops with a plate piled high? Really?


Aside from watching others with a foodie eye, I watched my own table/plate/serving. I went straight to the "healthy" menu which boasted 3-items: steak, halibut, chicken wrap. I chose the steak and asked for medium rare to which I learned "it's already done, it only comes one way." OK. My healthful-starless meal was served grey and with a butter knife and something mashed up on the side. Hm. While enjoying my microwave meal (I'm getting meaner by the minute ... bless my heart ... I apologies) I eaves-dropped on the women next to me who were having a deep discussion about teas, chili, canned soup, and salt. The four food groups.


Organic lettuce? Paso wines? Free range chicken with Chinese broccoli and maybe a side of white peaches with prosciutto? Is that too much to ask? Yes? Thought so.


It's a good thing I'm lucky enough to travel - it opens my eyes. It also makes me not mind the SF rents so much - I thought Marin was a bubble but SF is mounting to be the same lot. Fantastic.

No comments: