Thursday, November 20, 2008

A season to give


The 80 degree heat has finally turned to cool reminding us city dwellers Winter is almost upon us. And, as we all know, Winter is equivalent to fat men in red suits, over spending on gifts for others and ourselves, and, of course thinking of others.

Last night Emily and I hosted an LAC (ladies activity club - a rotating gatheringEmily thought of years ago) party to build gift boxes for low income children. We filled boxes with toothpaste, stickers, Pez, and more. We also packed each box with personal notes ("I realize I don't know you, but I'm confident you can do everything you want to do. You just need to put your mind to it, put your heart into it, and try ... blah blah blah").

I miss doing stuff like this. I don't think I've truly given back in years. I mean, I've given to the economy, but that was to put shoes on my feet. I'm glad there's a season to remind us to give/help/share/teach. I'm going to make an effort to remind myself to do this more often.

Thanks Em for the LAC party idea.

No comments: