Saturday, March 1, 2008

The great pickup

Tonight Matt and I donned one of our usual jaunts - Pesce - up the street for dinner. We sat at the bar (our favorite - best service and more stories) and enjoyed oysters, tuna, pork, and wine. A (short but amazingly loud for her height) woman came in and sat two seats down. Then a group of cougars. An hour or so later (we like to luxuriate in our dinners - heck, expensive enough, why not?) a man in his 40s or 50s. The rest was the usual crowd.

Just as we were wrapping up dinner I eavesdropped on an excellent conversation:
Man: I'll have two oyster shots without the vodka and a pink-drink-I-don't-remember-the-name-of. (commentary - why order the shot when you get the exact same thing but in a do-it-yourself style for half the price).
Woman: Oh, that sounds good (the drink), what's it called again?
--time passes--
Man: This drink is quite good ... but not made right.
Woman: Send it back. Hey Lis, can you take a look at this? (The woman obviously knew her peeps here).
Man: I love this place, I come here all the time. In fact, I never cook - I only cook once a month and it's for a dinner party but other than that I eat out every single meal. (commentary - nasty. Grow up. Gross.)
Woman: I own this place (!!!) and come here occasionally - it's one of the three I own. Where else do you go?
Man: Wow...well, I've been on a Thai kick, and have tried x ... y ... z ...
Woman: Oh, z is the third place I own. I see.
Man: Well, then I need to try it again. Anyhow, I'm organizing a dinner and need help - what would you suggest?
Woman: Tell me the invitees, I'll tell you the menu (amazing).
(muffled talk I couldn't understand).
Man: You know, once a friend of mine went to a restaurant and met the owner, and he was such an amazing cook, they talked about food and what he could could all night. Then he brought her home to show her his kitchen and...um...talk about food.

Lamest pickup line I've ever hear.

Rad.

No comments: