Monday, March 10, 2008

Don't judge a cover...


We've all heard the saying "don't judge a book by it's cover," and we all know it's petty and wrong to judge a person by their cover.


I recently bought Thoreau's Walden to (re)expand my creative side (it seems all the great lit and history I studied as an English minor in college has been replaced with Us Weekly and PerezHilton.com). The cover is pretty bleak...so are the contents so in this one the judgement is allowed. This afternoon I bought Skinny Bitch - a recommendation by a co-worker (not sure what he was hinting at - some lesson?), so my philosophy-filled-soul-searching is evened out.


So on the people note ... this morning when I was walking to work (carefully avoiding strangers leaning over mailboxes), I saw a short wizened man with a huge gray fro, a pink beach wrap (the kind you buy for $9.99 in Mexico), a button up shirt, wool socks, and tan moccasins taking all the free newspapers out of the paper bin. To sell? To use as a city-wide-liner (like a bird cage)? To read, take notes, read again? I had a fleeting moment of judgment, I'll admit.


This afternoon after Bar Method, I realized I did not come prepared with walk home clothes. Instead of sneakers or proper sweats, I was covered with spandex, a red jacket, white socks, and black shoes - very Michael Jackson meets guy-in-tree from Pretty in Pink meets Little Red Riding Hood. Half way home while weaving through the streets of China Town I experienced yet another karmic reprieve - a Chinese family was pointing and laughing. I was judged. Oy vey. Live, and learn.

1 comment:

Dasher said...

This captures the many sides/depths of Amber. Hilarious image in the last paragraph. So now you're watching where you step, but not what you step out in.