Sunday, March 16, 2008

Another 12k kinda day


This morning I woke at the inappropriate (for a Sunday) hour of 6am for the Emerald Nuts 12k "the race across the Bay." While tying on my shoes I had the momentary 'what am I doing here when I could still be in there' argument thinking wistfully of my soft bed. But no, I paid the $35 so game on. It's a bit sick that my best motivation is paying to do something - oh, that and the shirt. But I do like adding to my collection of running shirts.


Jamie and I met up on Bay St. and made our way to Acquatic park. There were thousands of runners stretching and shivering - while it wasn't raining, which had been in the forecast, it was freezing cold with the wind taking the chill off the top of the water and directing it on us. After getting my number, we boarded big yellow school buses and made our way over to Sausolito.


Side note - school buses have come a long way - they have seat belts now and the seats are taller than they used to be (likely an attempt to make it impossible for kids to climb over (which I'm sure they still find a way to do)).


Once in Sausalito we waited, and waited, and waited. By the time the race was actually supposed to start, I couldn't feel my legs - literally! My feet were so cold I wasn't even sure if I was walking to the start line or not - the only way I actually knew was that the scenery was changing. After the mile two mark my legs started the thaw a bit - I had a Forrest Gump moment of running with my (ice) bindings flying off and being free of the chill. The problem with this glorious FG moment was that through the rest of the race I had a southern drawl voice stuck in my head saying "and I was ru-u-unning!"


I finished the race in under an hour putting me at 8.5min miles.


Next up, Bay to Breakers!

No comments: