Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Global-ism

A while back I made a pact not to blog about work – it’s just a dangerous subject to get on. That said, I’m not very good at keeping things to myself so I have to share an ism from my 9-5 life.

I’m trying to fill a role for support in another country (that shall not be named). Last Friday I endured two interviews – both before my 3rd cup of coffee which was painful enough. The second interview started OK:
“Hello, this is Amber Taylor, is this still a good time to talk?”
“Hello?”
“Hello, this is Amber Taylor, is this still a good time to talk?”

Then the call went downhill:“How did you hear about the position?”“I’m sorry Miss, I cannot understand you. Can you put on an (insert country here) accent?”
“No.”
“Oh.”
“How did you hear about the position?”
“I heard from a recruiter”

Some small talk later:“So what are your biggest strengths?”“I am very good at downloading from the world wide web. Sometimes, I download lots and lots of stuff.”“I see. And why are you interested in this job?”
“How much are you going to pay me?”
“I’m sorry?”“How much do I get? Do I have the job?”
“I’ll get back to you on that.”
No, this is not made up.