Friday, July 4, 2008

Validation

In life everyone accepts validation in different forms (I say “accept” because people give and acknowledge validation differently). Matt says I run races because the finish line provides instant validation (I ran, I accomplished, I finished …)

In the city I get the joy of seeing folks striving for validation in different ways every day. There’s the badge lady in my building who won’t let anyone in unless they have their badge. Even though she knows us all. There’s the coffee shop guy who won’t let you near the cream and sugar table until he knows the cream and sugar are stocked. Tonight, we’re enjoying the entertainment of the traffic police monitoring the 4th of July festivities.

Matt and I live just South of Aquatic Park and are watching the 4th marry-makers head down to the water to drink, watch fireworks, and be marry (aka, loud and drunk). Looking over Lombard, the traffic police keep changing their decision in directing traffic; “no-one may turn left on Lombard. Period, that’s it.” “Everyone must turn left on Lombard – what do you think you’re doing?!” “Don’t go up the hill.” “You can’t come down the hill.”

I think they’re riding a traffic power wave that will last until the traffic subsides and they’re brunting the cuss words and fingers of drivers by. I hope they feel validated … It’s time to shine and boss and shine and boss they are.

No comments: