Monday, July 14, 2008

Summer


When I was a kid I went to three summer camps:



  • Camp Unique – a day camp in Marin for sports

  • Indian Princes – a politically incorrect named camp for fathers and daughters to bond over archery

  • 4H camp – for aggies (I raised chickens … yes, in Marin) where kids get to shoot riffles

I had a bittersweet relationship with camp. I hated overnight camps – something about my bed, my house, my family – maybe it’s the only child thing. “Mine.” On the flip side, I loved getting to eat junk food, getting dirty and not having to wash my hands, and getting to stay up past 8pm to do something other than watch Murder She Wrote (a Wilson household favorite).

Last weekend we enjoyed summer camp grownup style – 40+ of us made our way to Russian River to Burkes Canoe Trips campground. While there was no truth or dare, swapping salt for sugar, or panties in the freezer, there were scary stories, outdoor activities, and a plethora of salty, sugary, meaty, fatty food.

Can’t wait until “camp” next year.


No comments: