Monday, May 21, 2007

Potty mouth


I must say - the movie A Christmas Story illustrated it best when poor Ralphie suffered the consequences of repeating his dad's vocabulary.
How does this tie into my beloved city? San Francisco is known for its hills and I’m finding we’re known for foul language as well. I’m guilty of the occasional sign-language (not the PC kind, but the gesture = a thousand words kind) and cussing loudly with my windows rolled up. Terrible and working on it. Some people take the “other language” to the extreme. I’m used to the T-loin turrets and drug induced slurs, in fact I’m growing a bit immune to it, but some rantings I just can’t believe.

After circling for 30min looking for parking today and finally finding a spot (and this was a lucky day) I started walking down Lombard. Half way down I saw another lucky car find an open spot. At first I was jealous because their spot was way farther down the hill than mine. Then, I realized it was a tourist and was a bit peeved. How could I tell they were a tourist? For a long minute I watched the driver sit looking scared to death as they tried to figure out how to navigate the tight turn and sideways parking. While they were stalled halfway in the middle of the hill, cars crossing Polk wound around them making their way up Lombard. Then, a group of motorcycles drove up and the driver at the front of the pack started yelling “learn to f’ing parallel you f’ing moron!” not only did he need to wash his mouth out with some industrial strength soap, he obviously needed a driving school lesson – if anyone thinks they’re going to parallel on Lombard they’re sorely mistaken. And if anyone tries to parallel on Lombard there will be some serious potty mouthing – it would take up two prime spots!

After writing all that I feel like I need to go sit in the corner for a while.

No comments: