Wednesday, May 9, 2007

New do

A few weeks ago I attended a Habitat for Humanities fundraiser/event where I “won” a silent auction for hair color and cut. Finally, after lollygagging to make an appointment, I made it in for my new look. Thursday I made my way to the Castro District to Jungle Red salon. The Castro is similar to Russian Hill – tons of shops, restaurants, bars, and fashionistas…but with a twist. Walking down the street I passed bars called “Does Your Mom Know,” “Boys Only,” and “Sh Don’t Tell,” and those were the tame names!

At one point I stopped at a cross walk next to some British tourists. The couple must have been in their 80s and this was clearly the first time they’d been to San Francisco. While waiting for the glowing man to appear indicating that we could cross, the woman turned to her husband saying “Dear, I’m stahving” (insert endering British accent here – not wanna-be-posh LA accent). Her husband quickly(ish) turned looking for a decent place to enjoy an early bird special (it was 4pm) and, looking triumphant, turned to his wife “Look – ‘Big Sausage For You’ – that sounds good, doesn’t it?” Both of them turned looking excited and eager to eat and walked toward the sign. All I could think was “Dear Lord please be a deli.”

The cut and color were less than impressive – maybe because the stylists knew I had already paid, or maybe because surly is in. Regardless, now sporting a do 2-inches shorter and 3-shades darker and I will never go back to the salon again.

No comments: