Thursday, October 23, 2008

This is not a beauty show!


I don't know a single person that enjoys going to the DMV. And I can't imagine I'd much like working at the DMV - you get irate, confused, or grumpy-from-being-in-line-too-long-all-day people constantly.

Today I went to get a new license - I'm turning 29 (gasp) on Saturday which means my latest license is expiring. When I arrived at the DMV I found that a) I forgot my Citibank ATM card at home, b) I forgot my checkbook at home, and c) I didn't know the pin to my new ING card. Great. Thinking they might take credit cards now, I waiting through the line and got to the window. Nope. So off I drove to Citibank to pull cash and then drive back to the DMV.

Finally, back to the DMV, paid for my new license, and then slammed with the big one - "you need a new license photo." Eesh! I worked from home! Which means PJs, no makeup, and glasses - the backup pair. Made it through the picture and finally got back to my car - when I looked in the rearview I found a) my poneytail was on the side of my head ala 1988, b) I had coffee beans in between every tooth, c) managed to somehow put lipstick on part of my lips (top) but not all (dorky). I went back into the office to ask for a retake and it went something like this:
"Hi sir, sorry, but I realized I had coffee in all my teeth - may I retake my photo?"
"No."
"Why?"
"What, do you think I'm supposed to check out everyone's teeth?"
"No - not at all, it was my fault. May I retake?"
"No."
"Why?"
"Do I really look like I have time for this?"
I looked behind me and saw no-one in the photo line (despite the lines of people ready to complain about expired plates, etc.).
"No sir, I'm sure you're busy - I can smile fast ... I cleaned my teeth, I'll be quick!"
"What DOES THIS REALLY LOOK LIKE A BEAUTY SHOW?!!!"
He picked up and started ranting on how my hair and gloss looked bad but it wasn't his place to give everyone help with looks for the photo. Oofa. So of course I left on a passive aggressive note:
"Sir, I'm sure you're having a bad day. I'm sorry for that. I'll leave - I'm OK with my coffee teeth photo. I hope you feel better."

And in 3-weeks time, I'll be celebrating my coffee-teethed-fuzzy-haired-jammer-clad-license photo.

1 comment:

Lucy Autrey Wilson said...

Fabulously funny. Can't wait to see the photo. Maybe you should to a poll of worst DMV photos ever and post the winners on your website.