Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The economics of running


Watching the stock market teeter totter brings me to thinking about the economics of running. Sure, at first one might think it's an inexpensive sport - you just throw on shoes and go, right? Alas, no - on top of the physical gains and costs (on the upside: euphoria, runner's high; on the downside: occasional clicky knees, cramped arches, and so on) there's a handful of wallet denting needs.



The attire:

Tops:
I'm prone to 3/4 running tights and tanks. On the tank note, I go for whatever is clean. I like the Lululemon running tanks ($40+), Nike tanks ($30+), and the $5 bin tanks from Sports Basement. I'm also a big fan of wearing race shirts - I mean heck, I paid $30-80 for them! Also, I love seeing other runner's in the same race ts - there's always the unspoken "yep, I faced that hill, too."




Bottoms:
I've never been a fan of the short shorts for running and somehow I just can't get into the running skirts. I don't play tennis, I don't cheer, I run. Lately I've been loving the CW-X tights but they come with a hefty pricetag ($80+). The CW-Xs support the IT band which is a nice coo. They're not super cute, but they get the job done.







Shoes:
I love shoes. Manolo's, Jimmy's, Donald's, and Tod's... my boss thinks I have a penchant for "trannie" shoes. Heck, if that's the case, they have good taste!

Running shoes come with a pricetag close to styley shoes. I've tried a handful and have made the mistake of buying sale running shoes that were the wrong size or wrong fit to save a few - big mistake. I'm still running in Asics 1120s and am a fan - the pricetag definitely helps rack up frequent flier points, though. Not to mention the running socks - there are dry-wick socks, ankle for long runs, wool for cold runs, blister free (yeah, right), support socks, and more - all coming in between $5 and $20 a pair. I'm liking the Puma socks right now, but whenever I go to do laundry I end up losing a few, so lately my socks have been a Puma Adidas combo. I may be a label lover, but I'm not that loyal.

The rest:
On top of apparel there are the big expenses of running. Races can run $30 for a nice trail race to $110+ for a marathon. This doesn't include the travel - I've dropped $300+ on hotels and travel this year alone! When Boston comes along this number will soar.

Finally, there are the "non-standard" costs of running. The cost of maintenance. As with owning a car, the body takes tuning and fixing. This includes chiropractors ($20 co-pay), acupuncturists (another $20), podiatrists ($20 co-pay + $350 orthodics), and physical therapy ($20 co-pay). Eesh!
Grand total (drum roll ...):
$40 (shirt) + $80 (pants) + $10 (socks) + $60 (chiro, acupuncture, physical therapy) + $350 (orthodics) + $90 (half marathon) = $630 !!!

Sticker shock aside, just think - runner's high, a brain break, time alone, fitness, meeting new people, seeing gorgeous sites, etc. =
300 cups of coffee; 3 nights at a nice(ish) hotel; one pair of Manolo's; car insurance for a quarter; new tires; or ~ 7 months at the gym. Not to mention, stress overload, high cholesterol, new wardrobe (in either size direction), a drug habit (to replace the runner's high), or other sports cost more. I vote for running.


Well, at least runner's are helping support the economy.

3 comments:

Lucy Autrey Wilson said...

Love the body with the red arrows!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amber said...

I typically wouldn't post a store's ad, but I'm a sucker for a discount.