Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Hateful

This morning I again ventured down to the 10/20 bus stop, and again did my SF cool thang listening to the iPod reading the WSJ. The bus is getting more entertaining by the day, actually - people start forming relationships. The funny part is they're "bus relationships" where folks will say hi to each other or do the obligatory nod, but keep walking and sit in silence - bus etiquette.

After work I again walked home. Matt says I only half like the bus because I only take it one way - the reality is I just love soaking in the city but am too tired before my 4 cups of Starbucks.

Walking home today, though, made my heart hurt. I was on the border of China Town and Union Square area walking amidst the tourist financial district worker drone and hear shouting. Not one to pass up a good ism, I lowered my earphones and listened. A taxi drive clearly from Eastern Europe (the accent gave it away) had blocked in another car and was standing outside the door shouting at the driver to get out. When the driver finally emerged, the floodgates opened with cuss words and hateful words like I've never heard before. The taxi driver was shouting "You stupid, n(word) Asian! You talk English to me." At this point my stomach turned and all I wanted was to escape to the happy loving tones of Jack Johnson. The worst part, was the taxi drivers English was so broken and bad, that the other driver (who was Asian but that's it) couldn't understand him and kept asking him to repeat - which infuriated Mr. Meany even more.

Hateful taxi driver. I think that sometimes people get stressed out or others are mean to them, and they take it out on unsuspecting passers by. Not cool.

No comments: