Sunday, January 20, 2008

Bus Daze

I've changed jobs and I must say I am thrilled. Now, I get to enjoy SF without having to dodge poor drivers coming in and leaving. I'm working in the financial district and, for lack of a better term, it's perfect. One "perk" of the job is I get to take the bus or walk. I've quickly come to learn that the buses in San Francisco give cause for daily stories with uncountable isms. Each bus route offers a new story, the plot of which pends on the route and time of day. So far I've only tried two buses:

  • The 10: This bus picks me up on North Point and Polk and is one of the cleaner buses I've seen. It dodges China Town and drives along the water dropping suited financiers off in front of their buildings. My first ride on the 10 was wrought with tired looking people - it was Monday morning, not like anyone was going to be thrilled. A man got on the bus with his baby (a SF baby - you could tell by the calm) and the whole bus seemed to brighten - all the pinched finance faces and startup stress melting into baby face
  • The 20: The 20 also picks me up on North Point and Polk. Friday I was the first to board the 20 which was a bit serene. Whipping out my WSJ (hey, when in Rome...), I put my iPod on to read and zone. The problem, is although I've lived here for too long now, I love driving through San Francisco - I want to absorb it all. So instead of absorbing the morning news, I took in sites of Broadway waking up and the coffee shops filling up.

Ah the bus.

No comments: