Sunday, April 8, 2007

Hop to it

It’s Easter and the entire city is cloaked in pastels. This morning I got up and out before half of San Francisco rolled over. Lisa and I met up and made our way to Marin to go walking with my mother. Still a bit cloudy in SF, past the rainbow tunnel Marin was a sunny haven. Instead of walking we sat chatting, then Lisa went off to brunch and mom and I made our way up D-Hill. High school started flashing before my eyes as we trampled my old running path.

After getting about as much BMW and Prada in as I could take, I made my way back over the bridge. Every time I drive over the Golden Gate I feel so lucky – this is the city. The “it” city to borrow a fashion term. My city.

Driving up Lombard I quickly veered onto Fillmore wanting to avoid the throngs of tourists lining up for the Lombard tourist must. Passing Union I saw more pastel and huge hats. Union was closed off today to house bouncy castles and egg hunts. I didn’t know so many children lived in San Francisco! But here they were in their Sunday best eagerly looking under shop doors for plastic candy filled eggs and lining up to jump in a 12-foot high dragon lairs. Grandparents lined the streets looking so pleased – hats filling doorways, pastels putting Crayola to shame.

Up and over Fillmore I drove past about 6-brunch spots – all full. This is SF’s version of Easter – a leisurely brunch with friends sharing champaign and omelets.

The 5-year olds and 85-year olds were on Union, the 20-35 year olds on Fillmore. Where does the rest of San Francisco go? To Marin? They’re probably running around one of the many parks lining the city chasing their kids and looking for that magic golden egg.

No comments: