Saturday, April 7, 2007

Day off

Today we had off work and it was a perfect mellow San Francisco day. To celebrate my extra weekend day I ran errands. First the gym, the La Bou, next stop Walgreens. Walking down the street I was amazed at how many people decorated the coffee shops and diners. Do they get to do this everyday? How do they make their money that they can sit and enjoy the city without too many people around?

At Walgreens I got “stuck” in a row behind a woman who wasn’t moving faster than a turtle. She leaned on her cart ambling up the aisle enjoying every shelf and every sale item oo-ing and ah-ing as she walked.

After stopping by the drycleaners, dentist, and market, I made my way to the bank on Chestnut. Here I slowed by another elderly woman. She was decked out with a long coat, cane, red lipstick, and huge smile. She leaned on the counter nodding (although no-one was talking at the time), looking around the bank, and smiling. It’s funny, I think you get to a point and life just happens – it happens to you and around you. This woman very obviously was enjoying all of it. I wish we could all have this wizened ability throughout life – not just at the beginning and end.

No comments: