Saturday, May 10, 2008

Too fast, to slow

This morning was the Envirosports Mt. Tam Wild Boar 18k. It was a perfect morning for a race - cool but not cold. We started the race in the stadium of Mt. Play and made our way up the rock steps and through the gate.

I started out fast. Way too fast. I was the 1st woman for about 7 miles and then hit a wall hard. After that, while dodging athletes trying to get by on the narrow single track, I dodged excuses.

The boogy man in the race:
  • My knee hurt - the pain seemed to fill both my feet putting them to sleep
  • My shoulder cramped
  • I felt stomach sick ... now on this one I'm not sure if it was the steak and fries I had for dinner, the flu that was floating around Moscone during JavaOne, or the mileage

Enough with the excuses. Somehow, I kept going and made it in to enjoy the infamous Envirosports banana bread and free sports drinks.

Next time I'll pace.

No comments: