Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Karma

I do believe what comes around goes around ... and yet, I have the hardest time reminding myself to be selfless in those moments that set me up for being selfish.

When I graduated college my mother brought me on the trip of a lifetime through Costa Rica. One of our stops was on an island that was a bird and animal sanctuary, only served organic food grown locally, and only had electricity for 2-3 hours a day. I was miserable. Despite the four beautiful beaches, I wanted AC, a pool, Internet, and cable. When we first arrived we got to our room and there were two beds - one tiny and one huge. Because I was in such a pouty mood, mom let me pick my bed. I chose huge of course. I chose poorly. Upon waking the first morning, I found I had bed bug bites all over my body - head to two red itchy bumps. Karma.

Tonight Matt and I had our fallback dinner, soup and salad. There was a small bit of Whole Foods corn bread left from this same fallback on Sunday and when we were preparing dinner Matt reached for it. I reached faster gaining myself the cornbread and leaving Matt with sourdough (I'm not sounding like the nicest person...I am I swear). Two bites into dinner my mouth felt full of foam and my tummy funny. I looked at Matt and he had a look of terror on his face - eyes pointed at the cornbread. When I looked down at the cornbread I saw the beast of Matt's horror and my icky mouth - mold. Scattered throughout the bread was blue and green and white nasty hairy mold. I want to vomit. Karma.

1 comment:

Dasher said...

Unforgettable examples, and eating moldy cornbread sounds even worse than some of things you've almost sat on riding BART. I can vouch that you are a nice person at work, so you must save the dark side for family!