Thursday, February 22, 2007

Ask before you eat

Every morning before I leave for work our “house boy” (I’m not sure what to call him and can’t pronounce or spell his name yet so I’m just following what everyone else here has been saying) prepares fruit, eggs, and toast. I told Matt he needs to take notes. Before leaving for work, I look through Indian menus and ask for the things I can pronounce or have tried before. Lunch has been a different experience entirely.

The past few days I’ve enjoyed going out with co-workers to their local jaunts trying their favorites. I haven’t been ordering but just following the crowd and mimicking their orders. With each dish comes an explanation – “that is chick peas and curry” or “that’s spinach and cheese” or my favorite, “don’t try that. You don’t want to get sick yet.” Today I tried the cafeteria here and lunch turned into “what is the green thing? And the yellow? And the red? And brown?” as I went through the two bowls perched on my plastic plate. Always an experience.

No comments: