Sunday, April 13, 2008

The results are in


This weekend brought another beautiful race - the Muir Woods 25k. Early Saturday AM, Linzy, Matt and I made our way to Stinson - Linz and Matt for the 7mi and myself for the 25k.


By 9am it was already scorching hot. The event kicked off with the race coordinator giving a speech and announcing the prizes (a rubber chicken - truly). Then, a man dressed as John Muir came out and gave the history of the mountains - sounds hokey, kind of was, but it was interesting and inspiring for the run.


The race was one of the most painful I've ever done. It started with a 3mi 1,800 foot climb up which we ran 3 sets of stairs and a ladder. The race continued with a roller coasterish roundup of hills - up 2mi, down 4mi. At mile 6 my ankle turned shooting a stinging pain through my entire leg, but by this point it was just a bit farther to finish the race than to go back. The old saying "walk it off" really rang true because by mile 8 my ankle felt fine.


Today they posted the race results - I came in 1st (!!!) in my age group, 3rd woman overall, and 18th runner overall (men and women combined). Can't really walk now, but boy was it fun.
Linzy and Matt both did awesome - this was Linzy's first race of the year, and Matt's second (surprisingly).

No comments: